The Wichita Blues Society is also eager to work with teachers on developing cross-curricular Blues in the Schools workshops and residencies.
Appropriate for ages: Kindergarten, Grade 1, Grade 2, Grade 3, Grade 4, Grade 5, Grade 6, Grade 7, Grade 8, Grade 9, Grade 10, Grade 11, Grade 12
1231 N. Forest Ave.
Wichita KS 67203
Phone: (316) 871-8268
Contact: Rachelle Coba
Reservations: (316) 871-8268
The Blues is an important part of America’s heritage. With roots going back to the plantation era of the South, the Blues became the foundation for many musical art forms we have today, and music can be an effective way to teach your students.
Consider Blues in the Schools to:
– learn the connection between the Blues and other music styles
– understand and recognize rhythm and how to keep the beat
– discover how instruments make the sounds they do
– find rhymes, metaphors or similes in a song
– increase understanding of rural Southern life through lyrics
– learn how music styles can change based on geography and instrument